Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc.
History of the Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc.
On January 22,1942 the Flint News Advertiser printed a coupon asking Mothers of serviceman to return the coupon after filling it out. The following February 1st 300 mothers met in the Duran Hotel, in Flint Michigan. Captain George H. Maines, who had conceived the idea for this group, acted as the chair of this first meeting.
It was decided that after receiving 1000 responses from the ad to form a permanent organization.
On February 6th the organization was reported on Congressional record. Chapters then formed in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Oregon, California, Iowa and Washington.
In June of 1960 the organization was chartered by congress.
Mothers volunteered throughout the tough times of World War II. They worked in hospitals, train stations, packed care packages for soldiers and were a working part of homeland security during times of war.
The organization waned in size over the years but has held together by mothers showing pride in both their children and country. In recent times we have begun to grow in strength. Being attacked on our own soil has once again started mothers hanging flags in their windows at home, proclaiming pride in the fact that we have children protecting our freedom during time of war.
Our organization not only provides support for active duty service personnel, promotes patriotism, and assists Veterans organizations, we are also available to assist in homeland volunteer efforts to help our country remain strong.
Last updated 04/22/2019 Questions, problems or suggestions regarding this site should be directed to email@example.com Copyright ã 2019
National President: Anne Parkerat